While the game didn’t go as many of us thought it would have or should have, there were some players who deserve a lot of high fives and kudos for their play:
QB – Clint Trickett was not perfect, but he played a great game and he proved many people wrong about how he would perform. Trickett gets an A for his performance.
Other players who deserve an A were:
- WR Kevin White has truly improved from last year and made several tough catches and good runs after the catch.
- WR Mario Alford – Alford made the highlight video with his 100-yard kick-off return. Alford also had a good runs and some great catches.
- WR Jordan Thompson who has definitely picked up his game. Other than a dropped pass and catching a punt that may have gone into the end-zone, he played extremely well and made some great catches.
- RB Wendell Smallwood made some great runs and showed he was tough to tackle.
- RB Rushel Shell ran with abandonment and played tough and made the block that sprung Alford on the kick-off return.
- WR Shelton Gibson showed a lot of heart and played extremely well on special teams.
- OL – Every player who played on the offensive line proved all the hype was deserving and did a very good job protecting Trickett.
- Safety Dravon Henry proved all the hype about him was deserving. He played a great game.
- Safety Karl Joseph played a great game and made some stops at critical times.
- Safety K.J. Dillon played also played well.
- LB Nick Kwiatkoski showed his toughness and of the LB’s he proved he deserves to start. Kwiatkoski played hard and tough.
- Kicker Josh Lambert played well
- Kicker Michael Molinari did great with his kick-offs. I don’t remember seeing one that didn’t get into the end-zone.
- Punter Nick O’Toole continued with his booming kicks with good hang time.
- CB Daryl Worley gets an A for his play in the 2nd half. He came out in the 2nd half and played like he had something to prove and he showed his skill. It was good to see him make a comeback in the 2nd half.
I hope the coaches and players give these guys the kudos they deserve, as they played like winners and Mountaineers. They played heads-up football.
I want to thank each of these players for their efforts!!! Keep up the hard work gentlemen!!!
Also, I’d like to give high-fives and kudos to the coaching staff:
- OL Coach Ron Crook for preparing the OL, they played 10 times better than last year
- Safety and Special Teams Coach Joe DeForest. His special teams and safeties played their butts off. I’m sure DeForest’s stock just went up at least in the eyes of the fans.
- CB Coach Brian Mitchell for getting our cornerbacks ready to play.
- QB Coach Shannon Dawson for helping get Clint Trickett ready. Trickett deserves to be the starter and I liked the leadership Trickett showed both on the field and on the side-line.
- Receiver Coach Lonnie Galloway and the work he has done with the receiving corps. I think Shelton Gibson can make his way into this line-up. He dropped a pass, but other than that he showed a lot of heart and played well.
- RB Coach Jajuan Seider, who has to be the best RB coach anywhere.
Lastly, Kudos go out to Head Coach Dana Holgorsen for getting this group of coaches and for upgrading our recruiting. Your hard work did not go unnoticed against Alabama. I actually think Holgorsen gained some fans and a lot more appreciation. Keep up the good work Dana!!!